Fire Brigade warning after fire in school kitchen in Stanford-le-Hope

FIRE Crews were called to a chip pan fire at a school kitchen in Butts Lane, Stanford-le-Hope.

Crews wore breathing apparatus and used two dry powder extinguishers to tackle the blaze, which was out by 14.36.

A Fire Brigade spokesperson said:

"Incidents like this show how easily potentially devastating fires can break out in the kitchen:

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:

Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.

Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.