Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Hockey: Positives out of defeat for Ladies

Ladies 1st XI match report vs East London- 3rd October

FROM the start both teams set a high tempo which continued throughout with end to end action with either team not converting their opportunities in the first half with East London finishing the half with 10 players. The second half started very similar to that of the 1st however with a momentary laps in concentration, East London took their opportunity breaking through the last line of defence slotting the ball into the goal to go 0-1 up.

However the T’s did not let this dishearten them quickly replying with a well executed penalty corner to bring it level. Both team continued battle through until the last minute of the game when East London were awarded a Penalty Stroke, game finished 1-2 to East London. Bring some really positives for the Ts in the coming games.


Ladies 2s played East London 3s.

The final score was 2-0. Players of the match were Laura Fishleigh and Katy Martin.


No Ladies 3’s game.


Men’s 1st team drew 2-2 at home to Waltham Forest


East Men’s League. Division 7 southeast. Saffron Walden 6th team v Thurrock men’s 2nd team. Thurrock won 2-0.

Thurrock got their first away win of the season in a tough encounter at Saffron Walden.

The first half was scoreless, but second half goals from Josh Lamb and Darren Clarke gave Tee’s the win. Young attacker Callum Harvey deserved a special mention for his tireless work putting the Walden defence under pressure. Thurrock are at home next Saturday against Witham.

Div 9 South East


Thurrock were on the attack from the first whistle and pushed Southendians into defensive mode forcing the keeper into a string of reaction saves. Gradually the visitors gained a foothold in the game and an attack down the right led to a cross which should have been cleared easily but a mix up in defence allowed the ball to creep over the line to put Old Southendians into the lead.

This spurred the visitors on and only strong defensive work by Aaron Saunders, Mark Mager and Sid Chagger kept them at bay. The game moved rapidly from end to end with both teams having chances. Five minutes before half time a breakaway caught out Thurrock and led to a short corner which was well struck to give the visitors a 0-2 lead at half time. Strong words at half time produced a positive reaction and Thurrock worked hard with Alex Taylor controlling the midfield providing ammunition for the forwards.

Dave Leeks dribbled into the D and slipped the ball for Tom Archer to score. Buoyed by this, Thurrock continued their pressure and levelled the score when Bradley Rust seized on a Southendian hit out and beat two defenders before pushing the ball in the narrow gap between keeper and post.

On the hour Thurrock went into the lead when Mark Mager struck a short corner that left the keeper rooted to the spot. Soon afterwards a Southend were awarded a short corner which deflected off the keeper’s pad to hit a defender’s foot on the line, however Mark Harvey pulled off a spectacular save to prevent a goal.

Both teams were working flat out and, with two minutes to go, a shot by a Southend forward looked to be easily covered by Harvey, however a cruel deflection off a defender’s stick sent the ball into the net to level the score.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles