Monday, March 4, 2024

Football: Rocks crash out of FA Trophy

FA Trophy First Round

East Thurrock 1 v 4 Maidenhead United

MAIDENHEAD were deserved winners in today’s FA Trophy match, as they adapted better to the windy conditions and were more ruthless in front of goal over the 90 minutes.

Maidenhead had a good chance in the 11th minute, as James Mulley made an impressive run down the left wing and drilled a low cross into the box. The ball did not find the intended target however and East Thurrock were able to clear away after a goalmouth scramble.

The visitors took the lead on 30 minutes, thanks to a sublime volleyed effort on the edge of the box by Mark Nesbet, into the bottom left hand corner. There was nothing the defence or goalkeeper could do to prevent the ball from hitting the net.

Going a goal behind seemed to give the Rocks a kick into gear as the responded positively straight from the restart. Tom Wraight and Sam Higgins were combining well in the final third and both had decent chances to level the score, but were unsuccessful.

The equaliser came just before half time after Tom Wraight played a low ball into the box from the right flank, which Kye Ruel controlled inside the area and hit on the turn, slotting the ball into the bottom left corner. Higgins could have made it 2-1 almost immediately after as he latched onto a miss-hit clearance by goalkeeper Carl Pentney and tried to lob the keeper from the halfway line, but the wind behind him, lifted the ball just over the bar.

Maidenhead assumed control of the game after half time, as they restarted with the wind and in the 58th minute they took the lead. Dave Tarpey latched onto a long ball in behind the back line and from a psotiion that looked several yards offside he raced through and placed the ball past Rocks keeper Lukas Lidakevicius.

The result was as good as settled in the 72nd minute as Jake Reid , again with Rocks feeling he was in play from an offside position, lobbed over the keeper from 30 yards out to make it 3-1 to the National South side.

In the 83rd minute the result was confirmed by Reid’s second goal, as he crashed the ball home from inside the box as the Rocks were unable to clear their lines from a corner.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles