Monday, January 30, 2023

Hockey: Ladies Seconds impress against Havering

Thurrock Hockey Reports

Ladies 1’s vs Ashford lost 5-0. No match report


Ladies 2’s vs Havering 1-0

Essex Division 2

Thanks to a super-goal scored in the final ten minutes by Louisa Harrison Thurrock ended the weekend back on winning ways!

The game throughout was close with both sides each dominating long periods of the play but neither able to score. Thurrock ladies’ GK, and Thurrock player of the match, Ali Hadley made some amazing and ultimately match winning saves!

Thurrock Ladies 3rds. 0 v 4 East London.

Thurrock anticipated a difficult and challenging match against the 2nd placed team in the division. East London arrived with 15 players and a clear determination to add many goals to their already impressive goal count.

Thurrock spoilt their plans!.although the game was one sided Ts thwarted many of their attacks. Goalkeeper EIRA BOOTH made some acrobatic saves and she was unable to reach the 2 goals in the first half.

The backLine of ELLIE HARVEY, SANDRA HOCKLEY and LAURA REYNOLDS worked tirelessly against a young and skilful attack.

captain CHARLOTTE ADNAMS produced a player of match performance and was inspirational to her teammates.

At half time an excellent tactical change was made. Which resulted in PAIGE GREEN and SHANNON HARVEY skilfully supporting the midfield.

The Ladies effort was applaudable and they should take solace in the fact that East London became frustrated as they were unable to produce the many goals that their dominance.

Men’s 1’s

Thurrock 3 v 1 Clacton

Thurrock started off the slower of the two teams but managed to create some early opportunities, Clacton was the first to strike with a well worked goal. Thurrock then bucked there ideas up and started to play the hockey that they new they could. After moving the ball quickly with some excellent passing Thurrock was awarded a penalty corner which was converted by Matt leaver. The first half ended 1-1. The second half Thurrock were patient and managed to score a second through Matthew leaver again, Thurrock managed to hold on for a 2-1 victory. Man of the match was Andy Gaut.

Men’s 2’s vs Witham. 6-2

Report to follow.


Thurrock started strongly and Michael Fleming gave them the lead after 5 minutes with a short corner shot which left the keeper flat-footed. Continued pressure forced Southend to defendin numbers only some agile work by their keeper kept them in the game. After 20 minutes Max Blake intercepted a pass and drove towards the by line before pulling the ball back and hitting across the D to Bradley Rust who coolly slipped it inside the post. Southend gradually began to get into the game exert some pressure on the Thurrock defence.

Just before half time a shot from the edge of the area deflected off a defender’s stick and struck a player on the line, from the resulting penalty flick, Southend made the score 1-2 at half time. Southend maintained the upper hand after the break and Mark Harvey was called into action several times to make last-minute saves. Midway through the half, Southend were awarded a short corner which Harvey stopped and, as the ball rebounded off his pads, it was scrambled away and hit out to Tom Archer who moved it quickly up the field for Fleming to drive into the area and draw the keeper before passing for Rust to get his second from close range. this lifted

Thurrock’s spirits and, two minutes later Fleming gave them a fourth goal when he collected a pass from Hayden Keeler-Stone and dribbled through before hammering the ball past the advancing keeper.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles