Football: Rocks blow away Canvey to continue promotion bid

Ryman Premier

East Thurrock United 4 v 0 Canvey Island

A Sam Higgins hat-trick and some heroics from Rocks Lithuainan under 21 international goalkeeper Lukas Lidakevicius ensured Rocks continued their promotion push at windy Rookery Hill last night,to extend their unbeaten league run to eleven matches.

On a soft pitch, which quickly cut up, Rocks took the lead in the tenth minute as full back Ryan Sammons smashed a long distance effort goalwards which took a healthy deflection of HIGGINS and wrong footed Gulls former Grays keeper Connor Gough, who could only half save, and the ball rolled into the net.

With Lewis Smith back in the side after becoming a new dad and missing Saturdays game, Rocks looked threatening every time they moved forward and Gough save well from Smith and Higgins before the Islanders had their first real chance when Lukas was forced into making a spectacular save to keep out Martin Tuohy’s goalbound effort.

Rocks made it two on 25 minutes as teenage left back Jimmy Nottage followed a forward run by finding James Walker with a neat pass. With a quick flick, James put HIGGINS in the clear to round Gough and finish in style.

The Gulls had a golden opportunity to reduce the deficit on 32 minutes when Jay Curran was tripped inside the box. Curran took the spot kick himself, but Lucas guessed right to pull off a diving stop.

Canvey started the second half well, but must have realised it was not gong to be their night as two of their former Rocks, Mitchell Gilbey and Tuohy worked an opening only for the latter to see his effort rebound off the post into Lukas’ arms.

Rocks third goal came on the hour mark, as their recent signing and former Hendon favourite Aaron MORGAN scored his first for the club, firing across Gough and inside the far post.

Canvey were looking disconsolate now, and HIGGINS duly completed yet another Rocks hat trick with fifteen minutes left, as he brushed aside a couple of defenders before smashing the ball past Gough.

Gough pulled off a couple of good saves to deny Rocks any further goals as the game drew to a conclusion.

Next up for the Rocks is a first ever visit to Burgess Hill Town on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.