Fire officers issues warning after kitchen fire in Grays

ESSEX Firefighters were called to a fire in the kitchen of a third floor flat at Overcliff Road in Grays. On arrival, crews reported the fire was in the cooker extractor hood.

Firefighters used a dry powder extinguisher to tackle the fire. Crews checked for any remaining hot spots with a thermal imgaing camera and used a fan to clear smoke from the property.

Sub Officer Nigel Taplin said: "Incident like these show how important it is to take extra care in the kitchen. Luckily the resident was alerted to the fire by their working smoke alarm. The fire was cause by hot oil left on the cooker, so we are urging everyone to take extra care when cooking with oil. More fires start in the kitchen than any other room in the house and cooking accounts for more than a third of all house fires.

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen follow our simple safety tips:

Keep your oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire

Never leave cooking unattended

If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker

Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls

Take care when cooking with hot oil, it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.