Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Warning after chip pan fire in Grays

ESSEX Firefighters are warning people not to leave cooking unattended following a kitchen fire in Grays on Thursday evening.

Crews were called to a kitchen fire in Albermarlw Close after a chip pan, full of oil, had been left unattended. The fire filled the property with smoke, which crews used a ventilation fan to clear.

Station Officer Evan Jelliss from Grays Fire Station said:

"You should never leave cooking unattended – if you have to leave the kitchen when you’re cooking make sure you turn all your appliances off first. Just a moment’s distraction is all it takes for a harmless spot of cooking to turn into a potentially devastating fire.

Follow the Service’s cooking safety tips to make sure you stay safe in the kitchen:

• Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.

• If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker.

• Never leave children alone whilst cooking – what’s more important, your text or your child?

• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.

• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

• Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.

• Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles