Football: Grays blown away by Lowestoft

Ryman Premier

Lowestoft Town 2 v 1 Grays Ath

Lowestoft snatched a late winning goal after a spirited comeback by the Blues writes David Seaman

Blues came so close to earning a much needed point at wind and rain swept Lowestoft on Saturday but despite some spirited defending throughout the game they were undone by their own carelessness in possession which ultimately cost them a share of the points.

Lowestoft playing with the rain and wind at their backs dominated the opening period with Blues finding it difficult to break out of their own half, Amadou Tangara was called into action inside the first five minutes diving to his right to save from a Henderson drive. It was Henderson again who came close to opening the scoring when a deep cross to the far post found him unmarked but he prodded the ball wide of the upright.

Blues were restricted to the occasional breakaway and in one such move they had a claim for a penalty when Lheureux Menga was clipped as he shaped to shoot but the referee waved play on.

Tangara came to the rescue when he made a desperate block save to keep the scores level but in the 17th minute the hosts got the breakthrough and it was a simple enough move. A Blues attack broke down deep in the visitors half a long ball out of defence caught the Blues back four square Reed latched on to the ball he outpaced Jamie Stuart and slotted the ball past Tangara.

Blues gradually got themselves back into the game with David Fallah occasionally looking dangerous although he was not running at his normal pace one suspects he is still carrying a slight injury. It was Fallah who initially created an opening for Menga driving forward he laid the ball into Adeyenka Cole who crossed to Menga but his header sailed over.

Blues then had weathered the early storm with some determined and at times fortunate defending and with the prospects of the conditions in their favour in the second period they could look to at least level the scores As the half drew to a close Luke Hornsley had a half chance latching onto a quick free kick he screwed his shot just wide.

Hornsley was in action straight from the kick off winning Blues a corner which then failed to produce an effort on goal and then Lowestoft went close after Reed headed over following a free kick. Another Blues corner saw Stuart go close with a diving header that flew just wide of the post.

Blues were now enjoying their fair share of possession but were squandering good chances with carless passes allowing Lowestoft to clear the danger. Sandy Cunningham who came on at the start of the half was making some good runs but again his final ball lacked accuracy and momentum was lost.

Jamie Mascoll drove a free kick just wide and then Lowestoft could have gone in front when a low cross flashed across the Blues box without a home forward getting a contact on the ball.

It was the Blues though that snatched an equaliser in the 67th minute, Cunningham collected the ball wide out on the left and swung a deep cross to the far post where the lurking Menga managed to play the ball back to Fallah who made no mistake volleying the ball past Waite. Boosted by the goal Blues looked for their second, Hornsley just clipping the ball wide of the post.

Not to be outdone the hosts began to stretch the play with wide men Hood and Henderson seeing plenty of the ball but the Blues goal remained intact thanks to some dogged defending. A quick Grays’ break saw Cunningham brought down unceremoniously; Mascoll stepped up but fired the free kick wide of the post. A Blues corner then caused panic in the home defence the ball dropping just under the bar and scrambled away to safety.

Grays Ath are now five points from safety and there are fears that the gap may well grow between now and the new year.

For this reason, Grays away game against Met Police next Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.