Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Football: Aveley keep up promotion drive

Aveley FC

Ryman Div One North

Aveley 3 v 2 Waltham Abbey

IN a topsy turvy game the Millers eventually came out on top after goals from Billy Coyne, Gaz Dauti and Michael Toner, it finished 3-2.
After two weeks without a game due to postponements the Millers started off superbly and had the opportunity from the penalty spot. Jeremiah Maja played in Gaz Dauti who dribbled past the goalkeeper but was taken down in the process of doing so. Billy Coyne stepped up and sent the Abbey keeper the wrong way to put the Millers ahead.

The lead however didn’t last as long as hoped as a corner came in and was met by an unmarked Rimmel Daniel a few yards out who headed home to pull Waltham Abbey level.

Waltham Abbey were enthused by that goal and created a couple of half chances as cross from Logon and Russell were dangerous into the box, but there wasn’t anyone on the end of the crosses to put Abbey ahead. When Abbey countered dangerously from a Millers throw-in Adalberto Pinto was back superbly with a brilliant sliding challenge.

The visitors eventually got their chance and went ahead after sloppy play at the back from the Millers. A back pass was seized upon by Darelle Russell for his 13th goal of the season as he rounded Clarke Bogard and tapped into the empty net.

Aveley came back well, Ross Gleed was an inch wide after his good wing play set up a shot for himself, which was hacked clear but rolled just wide of the right hand post.

Moments later Jeremiah Maja curled a right footed effort past the keeper but was denied by the base of the left hand post. The ball was recycled back to Kris Newby, on his long awaited Aveley debut, and his effort was blocked wide of the goal.

The Millers looked to have another big appeal for a spot kick, Jeremiah Maja raced through on goal, seemed to get one push in the back and looked to have been taken down by the Waltham Abbey keeper. Jeremiah Maja still somehow got a shot off while on the floor but Spencer Harrison just about cleared the ball away from the goal and behind for a corner kick.

Despite being frustrated with that decision, it didn’t matter. From the resulting corner it landed to Gaz Dauti who buried it from close range to get the Millers back on level terms.

Going into half time, the Millers had a couple of chances, the first much more difficult as a ball in from Kris Newby was headed wide by Ross Gleed as he stretched to reach the cross. And in the third minute of added on time after being set up by Jeremiah Maja, Michael Toner’s right footed effort just lacked more power to put us back infront.

The second half might not have had the same amount of goals as the first half, but it still had the action and drama. The Millers came out well for the second half, Joe Clark found his way into the Abbey box but he couldn’t wrap his foot around the cross as the keeper cut the ball out well. That chance was followed by a wonderful flowing counter attack, five passes from box to box set up Ross Gleed but he was unlucky as his effort was deflected and cleared away.

In the next five minutes a couple of yellow cards were handed out. Kris Newby was first to get into the referees book. He was penalised for a foul which happened off the field, as the ball was rolling out he slid in but couldn’t stop his momentum although he got the ball it happened just outside field of play and was awarded a yellow card.

Joe Clark was next to get a yellow card, on the far side of the pitch the linesmen called over the referee and Joe was given a yellow card.
A couple of substitutes followed for Aveley. Jeremiah Maja just come back from injury and came off for Matthias Bakare making his second debut for the club. And George Woodward came on for his first appearance since the end of October after an injury kept him out.

For Waltham Abbey they didn’t create too much in the second half, a long, unchallenged run by Romaric Logon saw him fire a rasping drive a couple of inches wide of the right hand post.

The breakthrough finally came in the second half and it was Michael Toner who scored it! A great positive run from George Woodward saw him have an effort crack the crossbar, Matty Bakare left it to the oncoming Michael Toner whose thunderous effort found its way into the back of the net to put the Millers ahead.

Waltham Abbey had a couple of half chances to pull back level but the Millers held on well. Darelle Russell chipped Bogard but Tommy Spillane was on hand to head the ball away from going goal bound, and it was Darelle Russell deep into injury time who tried to divert a cross from Bolasie but it was comfortable for Clarke Bogard to make the save.

The drama however wasn’t done there. Ross Gleed was down receiving treatment and was kicked by Romaric Logon who was shown a straight red card. But Kris Newby was shown a second yellow card as he held back the Waltham Abbey keeper who ran 25 yards to get involved in the situation. Millers boss was then sent to the stand after asking the linesmen why Kris Newby was sent off after being the peacemaker breaking everything up.
But in the end it didn’t matter as the Millers comfortably held out the last two minutes of the six minutes added on time for the win and three points after two weeks without a game.

Aveley: Clarke Bogard, Billy Coyne (Capt) Joe Clark (George Woodward 70), Michael Toner, Tommy Spillane, Harry Gibbs, Kris Newby, Adalberto Pinto, Gaz Dauti, Jeremiah Maja (Matthias Bakare 60), Ross Gleed.
Scorers – Billy Coyne (3′) Gaz Dauti (34′), Michael Toner (74′)

Waltham Abbey: James Pellin, Ben Glasgow, Macauley Joynes, Jack Daveney, Spencer Harrison, Sam Robbins, Rimmel Daniel (Gregory Morse 90), Ruaridh Kay (Sam West 79), Darelle Russell, Romaric Logon, Michael Spencer (Glen Bolasie 86).
Scorers – : Rimmel Daniel (5′), Darelle Russell (21′)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles