Saturday, May 25, 2024

Football: Last gasp agony for Tilbury

Ryman Div One North

Bury Town 2 v 1 Tilbury

Report by Anthony Mercer

After dominating the second half, Tilbury lost out to a goal deep into injury time by Ryan Jolland’s to give Bury Town the points, after the game looked to be heading for a draw.

Tilbury went into the game making just a single change, Lewis Francis replacing Reece Hewitt. Tilbury went on the attack from the off, that saw a long ball up field for Lewis Jaggs to run on to, but Bury keeper Neil O’Sullivan got there first to clear the ball. Another Tilbury attack two minutes later saw Toby Aromolaran go down the right and crossing to Kurt Smith who headed wide.

Bury struck first on twelve minutes with Noel Aitkens heading home from a Darcy Death long throw which was headed on by Ollie Fenn to Aitkens at the far post. On twenty-five minutes Ollie Hughes broke down the wing and worked the ball in on the keeper only to have his shot well saved by Clarke Bogard. A skilful overhead kick from Ollie Hughes in the 38th minute went just over and before the break Bogard again saved well from Aitkens.

The second period saw Tilbury have more of the ball and went close to pulling level in the 50th minute when Conor Mead drove down the wing and put a cross in to the danger area but defender Cusack cleared the ball. Ollie Fenn had a chance to double the lead in the 52nd minute but his shot was cleared off the line by Aaron Waters. The introduction of Emiel Aiken looked to bolster Tilbury’s chances and within three minutes sent in a succession of crosses to cause the home defence problems. On 64 minutes a corner from Mead fell to Waters in the six-yard box but fired over the bar. Tilbury were finding chances to get back in the game and O’Sullivan had to be at his best on 67 minutes when Mead rifled a strike from distance which had the Bury stopper saving at full stretch.

In the 79th minute Luke Read and Ollie Hughes linked up well, resulting in Hughes firing a shot from point blank range, but Bogard made a great save to deny the Bury striker. With just four minutes of normal time left Tilbury took advantage of an indecisive Bury defence and from a Lewis Francis throw, Kurt Smith reacted quickest to smash the ball into the roof of the net.

Bury then snatched the winner four minutes into stoppage time when Josh Mayhew got to the by-line and pulled his pass back across the box for Jolland to get a touch suspiciously home with his hand inside the far post. Despite protests, the referee awarded a goal, with the assistant referee not up with play to make the decision.

After the game manager Gary Henty commented “I thought we produced a good performance especially away from home where we dominated the second half and were unlucky not to get anything from the game.”

Tilbury sit in 13th place in the league are back at home next Saturday when they welcome Phoenix Sports.

Bury Town: Neil O’Sullivan, Darcy Death (Ryan Jolland 76′), Andrew Cusack, Ollie Fenn, Leon Ottley-Gooch, Kyran Clements, Noel Aitkens (Taylor Bannister 58′), Luke Read (Josh Mayhew 82′), Ollie Hughes, Bradley Barber, Ryan Jolland.

Scorers – Noel Aitkens (12′), Ryan Jolland (90+4′)

Tilbury: Clarke Bogard, Conor Mead, Reece Conway, Jake Pooley, Aaron Waters, Danny Norton, Toby Aromolaran (Ryan Melaugh 65′), Jack Carlile(Toch Singh 77′), Kurt Smith, Lewis Jaggs (Emiel Aiken 60′), Lewis Francis.

Scorer – Kurt Smith (86′)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles