Saturday, April 20, 2024

Football: Hard fought away win for Romford

Wroxham 1 v 2 Romford

Ryman North

Report by Gary Redwin

FOR the second week running an early second half equalizer and late winner gave Romford a hard fought victory against relegation threatened Wroxham

After recording their first Ryman League win in Norfolk at Dereham recently, Boro had high hopes for more success as Wroxham are having a wretched season; but despite pushing forward with a lot of possession early on, they could not really get their game together on the undulating Trafford Park surface that seems to slope in a variety of different directions.

They had to make an early substitution, with Ayo Olukoja coming on for Greg Akpele who pulled up with a back problem and were yet to manage an effort on target when in the twentieth minute a Wroxham forward got clear down the right and his cross was cleverly volleyed in at an angle by Connor Deeks. This seemed to wake Boro up and Chris Taylor had a header saved from Kwasi Marfo’s corner before the Boro striker had an attempt go not too far over. Then from another corner Danny Cosssington’s header went just past the post. In between times though, Callum Chafer had to be well positioned to stop a shot hit with some power by the hosts.

Romford players and supporters had a lot of time wasting to complain about during the match down the road at Norwich United a few weeks ago, and were now irked to find that after taking the lead Wroxham had their own method with their bench – simply refusing to get a spare ball back onto the pitch when the previous one had gone out of play. The referee made a great show of studying his watch whenever this happened but inevitably barely any time was added on at the end of the half.

Boro began the second half with far more purpose and after only two minutes some head tennis in the penalty area ended with the ball arriving at the feet of Chinedu McKenzie who had his first effort saved by the keeper, but collecting the rebound at an acute angle from the goal he stayed cool to place his shot into the narrow gap just inside the post. Back on level terms Romford were now looking more like their old selves, attacking and creating far more than in the first half, but Wroxham were also playing with some spirit and twice within a couple of minute could have retaken the lead. Chafer had had very little to do but made an outstanding save with his legs when a home forward broke clear and was one on one with him; but then could only watch as header from a free kick rattled his crossbar and came back out. However, Romford now stepped up the pressure and Jamie Dicks saw his well struck free kick tipped around the post.

With a couple of minutes to go Paul Martin gambled by bringing on Nick Reynolds as a third striker and it paid off almost immediately. Receiving the ball after a good passing move he ran into the box but was clipped as he sidestepped an opponent. The referee had his whistle to his lips and about to blow for the penalty but the ball had ran loose to Olukoga, who swept the ball in, registering his second goal for the club and both of them plundered in Norfolk.

Boro were able to see out the added time with little problem and moved up another place in the league table to fifteenth.

Wroxham: Elliot Pride, Blake Saker, Tom Rampling, Jack Guyton (Matthew Cook 81′), Ollie Ebbage, Adam Plumstead, Armani Schaar, Jack Newman (Archie Galley 85′), Ross Gilfedder, Connor Deeks, Ben Fowkes (Daniel Rogers 59′).

Scorer – Connor Deeks (20′)

Romford: Callum Chafer, Ryan Boswell, Akwasi Marfo, Danny Cossington, Ryan Mallet, Jamie Dicks (Nick Reynolds 87′), Chris Barry (James Ishmail 78′). Greg Akpele (Ayo Olukoga 16′), Chinedu McKenzie, Chris Taylor, Jack Browne-Sykes

Scorers – Chinedu McKenzie (47′), Nick Reynolds (88′)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles