Monday, February 26, 2024

Football: Another slip up for Thurrock

Ryman Div One North

Soham Town Rangers 2 v 1 Thurrock

By Mike Tongue

ANOTHER bump in the road for Thurrock as the 2016-17 moves into the closing stages with the play-off places far from settled.
Thurrock were probing Soham’s defence early on as Jack Barham plays the ball with the outside of his foot for David Cowley out on the left wing, Cowley cross only finds Niall Conroy’s arms. Moments later Cowley is again on the ball as Thurrock clear from defence, another teasing ball into the area looking to pick out Barham in front of Conroy, Barham is unable to connect but neither is Conroy and the ball comes to rest in the far corner. [0-1]

Thurrock push for a second. David Cowley wins a free kick twenty five yards out, Glenn Poole touches the ball to Ronnie Winn who steadies the ball for Joe Christou to strike and scrape the post. Jordan Clark intercepts the ball and plays out to Remi Sutton who sees his cross blocked. Ronnie Winn is released behind the defence but loses the race to the ball and Conroy gathers at the edge of the area. David Cowley tracks back and nicks the ball before finding Barham who flicks the ball through for Winn, his lob is over the bar.

A scare just before half time as Soham break and Thurrock clear the ball behind for a corner. The corner is sent to the far post and Bobby Mason does well to first push the ball onto the post and then smother the follow up. The final minute of the first half sees Glenn Poole clear the ball from the left back position finding Barham to head the ball into Jordan Clark’s path, Clark travels down the left wing before pulling the ball square for Christou, Christou hits the ball cleanly and Conroy gets a fingertip to the ball to push onto the crossbar and over.

Half Time: Soham Town Rangers 0 Thurrock 1

The second half begins as the first ended with Thurrock on the hunt for a second goal. Remi Sutton plays the ball down the wing for Ronnie Winn and Winn finds Christou once more at the edge of the area, another fine shot and another fine save.

The game ticks over the hour mark and in the space of two minutes the game is turned on its head. Soham get a free kick which is put into the area, a scramble ensues and as the ball pops clear the referee signals a penalty and Sam Mulready sends Mason the wrong way to equalise. [1-1] Barely two minutes later and an extraordinarily long throw reaches the far post where again it finds Mulready to knock home. [2-1]

Thurrock almost get things back on level terms from the restart. A Christou throw deep in Soham’s half finds Clark who spins and shoots in one fluid motion but over the bar. Mark Stimson switches the two upfront bringing on Michael Pindy and Mark Onyemah for Ronnie Winn and Jack Barham and it is Pindy who creates the first chance carrying the ball across the edge of the area before feeding Cowley whose shot is deflected over the bar. Glenn Poole gets a glimpse from thirty yards and takes the shot but again the ball clears the bar.

Try as they might Thurrock can’t break down Soham but with five minutes of added time there is still time for a flurry of activity. Cowley’s corner connects with Onyemah, the shot is going wide but Pindy keeps the ball in play on the byeline but again Soham clear. Perry Dunn clears Thurrock’s lines and it is Pindy again feeding Onyemah this time and Onyemah crashes the ball goalwards but again the ball ricochets off the crossbar. The last throw of the dice as Onyemah, Pindy and Clark link up to give Cowley space to shoot but again just too high.

Another disappointing result but still everything to play for to get home advantage in the play-offs.

Team: Bobby Mason, Ronnie Winn (Michael Pindy, 74), Remi Sutton, Richard Halle (James Goode, 46) George Winn, Perry Dunn , Jordan Clark, Glenn Poole, Jack Barham (Mark Onyemah 74), Joe Christou, David Cowley

Unused: Connor Wheatley

Attendance: 120


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles