Neighbours alerted to fire in Grays flat by smoke alarm

Conway Gardens

A FLAT in Grays escaped fire damage thanks to a working smoke alarm alerting a neighbour.

Crews were called to a flat fire in Conway Gardens, Grays, this morning (Sunday 30 April).

When firefighters arrived they reported that the flat was 30% alight and worked quickly to extinguish the fire by 11:15am.

The flat suffered light smoke damage and the fire has been recorded as accidental.

Station Officer Mark Elliott said:

“The homeowners were not in at the time of the fire, but thankfully their working smoke alarm alerted their neighbour who then called 999.

“Because the alarm was raised quickly we were able to attend to the fire before too much damage was caused.

“This incident highlights how important it is to have a working smoke alarm, to alert yourself and others to the first sign of smoke and fire.”

We want every home in Essex to have the excellent protection of working smoke alarms. Call us to book a home safety visit – we will provide and fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge.

Call: 0300 303 0088 or book online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.