Elderly woman escapes smoke filled kitchen in Tilbury

essex-fire

AN elderly woman had to be led out of her house by a passer-by after she had left cooking on her hob and it had caused her kitchen to fill with smoke.

Luckily, her neighbour saw the smoke and called 999 and managed to flag down a passer-by who managed to get in the house and led the woman out to safety.

The woman was given first aid by firefighters and left in the care of the Ambulance Service.

Firefighters ventilated the kitchen which suffered slight smoke damage.

Head of Communtiy Safety, Neil Fenwick said:

“The kitchen is a major flashpoint for fires. More house fires start in the kitchen than any other room so we are urging everyone to make sure that they take care when they’re cooking.

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:

• Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.
• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
• Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.
• Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.