Neighbour alerts fire service to blaze in Purfleet flat

FIRE Crews were called to Linnet Way, Purfleet, last night (Monday 10 July), after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm from a flat below.

On arrival firefighters reported that a second floor flat was 100% smoke logged and that the fire was in the kitchen.

Firefighters extinguished the fire by 11pm and then used Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV) fans to clear the smoke.

Sub Officer Daryl Arnold said:

“Incidents like this show how important it is to have a working smoke alarm.

“Even though the homeowner was on holiday, a neighbour was alerted to the incident and was able to call 999.

“The flat has suffered minimal fire damage but has been 100% smoke damaged.

“The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, due to an electrical fault with the extractor fan.”

We want every home in Essex to have the excellent protection of working smoke alarms. Call us to book a home safety visit – we will provide and fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge.

Call: 0300 303 0088 or book online:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.