Football: Halloween horror for Thurrock

Thurrock FC 17

FA Trophy First Round Replay

Thurrock 1 v 4 Kingstonian

HALLOWEEN night saw Thurrock host Kingstonian in the Buildbase FA Trophy replay. Friday’s reverse fixture saw 6 goals shared as the Fleet came from behind 3 times to take the game back to Ship Lane. Whilst Kingstonian sit 8th in the Bostik Premier League as opposed to Thurrock in 21st, anything can happen in cup football.

Reserve goalkeeper James Scammel started in goal for Thurrock as Dennis Oli started in place of Joel Nouble who dropped to the bench. George Winn and James Goode also came into the side.

The first chance of the game came 3 minutes in. Kingstonian winger Tom Collins whipped the ball in from a deep cross for Claudiu Vileu who headed down into the corner, Scammel gathered at the second attempt.

The opening exchanges were very cagey as both teams struggled to keep the ball. It was as if play had been paused on Friday night and continued here in the same frantic manner. The side to settle first would be the side to win this tie and see themselves into the next round of the FA Trophy.

On the 15-minute, mark Kingstonian whipped in a corner to the back post towards a huddle of red and white shirts. Tom Derry flicked the ball over his shoulder towards the top corner. The dipping effort was tipped over acrobatically by Scammel – a fine stop.

Thurrock were starting to exchange quick passes in the midfield but just couldn’t quite find the final ball to Charlie Stimson or Oli. Lewwis Spence and Jordan Clark were working tirelessly in midfield to keep the ball. Despite this, it was the visitors who took the lead.

The corner whipped in once again by Collins and wasn’t cleared by Thurrock. The ball bounced amongst the crowded box and fell at the feet of Aaron Goode who finished from no more than 4 yards out.


AARON GOODE 24 minutes

It was a scruffy goal to concede and one that went against the run of play but Collins’ delivery from set pieces were causing problems.

He would create another goal just minutes later.


JOE OSEYEMI 28 minutes

Before Thurrock could get going in pursuit for an equaliser they found themselves two down. Once again it came from a deep corner which simply wasn’t dealt with. The ball fell to Oseyemi this time who volleyed in from close range. The ball bounced off the upright and rolled into the side netting. Agonizing for Thurrock.

Soon after Kingstonian had a chance to make it 3. A bobbling back pass was cleared only as far as Alex Fiddes who rounded Scammel before being brought down by George Winn who was consequently booked. The referee pointed to the spot to give Derry the chance from 12 yards.


TOM DERRY 31 Minutes

The midfielder made no mistake and gave Scammel no chance to make amends. Individual mistakes cost Thurrock who gave themselves a mountain to climb.

James Goode received the second booking of the game in the 32nd minute for a late tackle on Oseyemi as he surged forward on a counter attack. The foul proved Thurrock certainly weren’t going to roll over.

The Fleet almost reduced the deficit just before half time as Stimson’s flick was met by Dennis Oli but hooked off the line after beating the keeper.



Mark Stimson made a change at the break as James Goode made way for Joel Nouble.

Minutes into the second half saw Charlie Stimson latch onto a long ball forward, the striker beat his man but couldn’t beat the keeper from a tight angle.

From the resulting corner the visitors broke forward with pace. Fiddes found Collins in the centre who took a touch and dispatched the ball into the bottom right corner to make it 4-0.


TOM COLLINS 49 Minutes.

Once again, despite starting the half brighter, Thurrock were punished by Kingstonian’s efficiency.

Thurrock got forward from the break and moved the ball from left to right swiftly. Spence picked up the ball from 15 yards and cut in on his left but saw his effort well held by Tolfrey.

Alex Fiddes was causing problems from the right flank that he earned his assist from. He cut inside of one yellow shirt, and then two, before getting dragged down 20 yards from goal.

Stimson made his second change of the game on the hour as he swapped Dennis Oli for Leon Antoine. Kingstonian made a change of their own shortly after as Laurent made way for Evan Green.

The visitors looked as though their priority now was to keep a clean sheet and sat deep to try and do so. When they countered they broke with pace out wide. Derry brought the ball up as he launched an attack before being on the receiving end of a mistimed Joe Bruce challenge. The tackle earned another yellow card for the home side.

Despite the score line Thurrock weren’t defeated. They continued to attack with numbers. Both fullbacks were charging forward at every opportunity. On the 78th Minute Spence fizzed the ball into Antoine who laid the ball back to the captain, his strike was dragged just wide of the post.

Minutes later and Spence struck from distance again. He worked some space for himself before shooting from distance, his effort had to be beaten away by Tolfrey.

The tempo slowed as the game entered its dying minutes and three minutes were added on by the referee.

Thurrock grabbed a consolation goal in the game’s final few seconds.


Adetayo Osifuwa 92 Minutes.

A through ball from Spence was knocked on by substitute Timothy Ogunrinde and poked home by Adetayo Osifuwa who got his reward for following the ball into the box.



Team: James Scammel, Adetayo Osifuwa, George Winn, Joe Bruce, James Goode (Joel Nouble ’45) Jordan Clark, Joe Christou, Lewwis Spence, Charlie Stimson (Timothy Ogunrinde 68’) Ronnie Winn, Dennis Oli (Leon Antoine 61’)
Unused: Jamie Price
Attendance: 84

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.