Dog dies after house fire in South Ockendon

Broxburn Drive

A FAMILY has been left homeless following a fire which was caused by an unattended candle.

Crews were called to a house in South Ockendon after the owner returned home to find smoke coming from the kitchen door.

On opening the door the homeowner found that her kitchen was blackened and there were flames on top of her fridge.

Watch Manager Evan Jelliss said:

“When we arrived there was a small fire on a fridge in the kitchen. Because the homeowner had closed the kitchen door when she left the property the fire stayed contained to that one room.

“Our crews quickly extinguished the fire and cleared the property of smoke.

“Sadly a dog died at the scene.”

“The cause of the fire was a candle which had been left on top of the fridge and unattended. The candle melted through the plastic on the fridge and caught alight.

“This incident shows how important it is to ensure that candles are secured in an appropriate holder and never left unattended.”

Follow Essex County Fire and Rescue Service’s advice when using candles:

Candle safety

Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.
Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
Don’t move candles once they are lit.
Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.
Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.