Thursday, October 6, 2022

Football: Aveley in a right jam against Maldon

Bostik North

Aveley 0 v 5 Maldon & Tiptree 

AVELEY were on the wrong end of a 27 minute goals bitz and never recovered in Saturday’s Bostik north clash at Parkside.

The opening 16 minutes gave little suggestion about what was to follow, with Alex Teniola going closest to a goal for Aveley.

But once the Jammers had grabbed an opening goal they took a stranglehold on the match. The goal came from a good interchange of passes on the edge of the Aveley penalty box between Harvey Brown, and Kieron Bailey before the ball fell to Chris Millar who fired in a shot that seemed to go through home keeper Rhys Madden’s leg

Maldon’s second came 26 minutes when another passing move cut through the home defence before Eoin McKeown drove home from just inside the penalty area. It was 3-0 just three minutes later when Joe Claridge, Bailey and Lee Barnard combined well before Barnard slipped the ball through for McKeown to run through and put the ball into the net just inside the far post.

After the visitors Millar put a 25 metre shot high and wide an ambitious attempt at an overhead kick failed to pay off for Aveley’s Alex Stephenson then Jammers keeper Chris Haigh was under pressure to claim a left wing cross but the ball was eventually cleared.

A passage of play ending in the 43rd minute resulted in a fourth goal to the visitors when, after Joe Claridge’s diverted free kick had just been cleared for a corner off the outstretched legs of Madden, the resultant Bailey corner was headed back across goal where Bailey, following in, was upended for a clear penalty that Barnard converted confidently.

Aveley has a chance to get back into it before the break but George Doyle’s fierce free kick from the edge of the penalty area was tipped over the bar

Three substitutions in the second half by Aveley did at last produce something of an attacking context and from a Myles Keizer-Burrows long throw one of the substitutes, Calvin Ekpiteta, saw his shot just blocked by visiting keeper Chris Haigh before Doyle’s bouncing shot was also saved. Further home substitute Dan Walker was denied by Haigh as the keeper did well to hold the latter’s fierce shot before Haigh was again called into action to pull off another good save to take the ball off Dan Walker’s boot as he broke through on goal.

However, the fifth goal was to come the way of the visitors and it was a hat-trick for McKeown after 78 minutes when substitute Rhys Henry played through a fine ball to release him and he put the ball past madden.

The latter stages plus added time were well controlled by the visitors to record one of their best wins of the season.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles