Saturday, April 13, 2024

Football: East Thurrock fall to second defeat of the season

Vanarama National League South

Dulwich Hamlet 2 v 1 East Thurrock United

DESPITE an outstanding display from goalkeeper Jack Giddens, Rocks went down to a second successive matchwinner deep in added time when they faced Dulwich at Tooting on Wednesday evening.

Overall, given the balance of play over the whole of the match, East Thurrock couldn’t complain about the result, it was just galling for John Coventry’s side that a point that would have been hard won was snatched from their grasp at the death.

On Saturday, at home to Woking, Rocks could legitimately point to mistakes by referee Wayne Cartmel that led to their undoing, but there were no such woes against Dulwich who might well have won by much more.

The home side were dominant from the off, with Gavin Tomlin spurning the first of many gilt-edged chances after just nine minutes when he headed over the bar.

Rocks responded well and livewire Danilo Orsei-Dadomo latched on to a throughball from Tom Derry but also put his effort above the woodwork.
Giddens made the first of many great stops soon after, getting down well to save with his feet but it looked increasingly likely he would be beaten sooner rather than later.

However, against the run of play Danilo Orsei-Dadomo exploited some panic in the home defence on 31 minutes to fire home, and Rocks might have had a second shortly afterwards but their shouts for a penalty were waved away.

The half closed with another instinctive save from Giddens, who also found himself under lots of pressure in the opening stages of the second half.

He produced a fine low save to deny Walter Figueira and then Hamlet appeared to have legitimate claims for a goal denied when ref Dean skipper ruled the ball hadn’t crossed the line, when most thought it did.

Rocks were grateful for the let-off, albeit a deserved one as they has suffered a similar misjudgement on Saturday against Woking.
Hamlet continued to press and after one more fine save from Giddens, the vusots finally cracked when Tomlin’s header went in off the post.

Dulwich continued to dominate and went close several times, with Giddens repeatedly denying them but deep into added time sub Dipo Akinyemi seized on a moment when Lee Burns gave away possession cheaply and he lifted the ball over Jack Giddens to leave Rocks at the foot of the table on the back of their eighth successive defeat.

With just two games gone, their plight is far from parlous and while the first two results have been disappointing, the effort and commitment of the squad bode well for what are likely to be more important games against sides who won’t be challenging for promotion.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles