Hockey: Thurrock Ladies make impressive start to new year

Thurrock Hockey


THURROCK maintained their push for promotion by winning their first game back after the Christmas break. After an even first ten minutes, Tees began to exert their pressure and from a penalty corner strike, Charlene Curtis made a great connection at the near post to deflect the ball back across the goal line, where the returning Lauren Marshal was perfectly placed to calmly finish.

Soon after, Thurrock scored their second when Marshal was again in the right place to force the ball home in the D. Tees had numerous other attacking opportunities during this period of dominance but found the Brentwood keeper in inspired form and making some great saves to keep the score to just 2-0 at half time. Thurrock started the second half strongly and again scored two quick goals, the first a rebound by Becky McKenna from a penalty corner and the second a clever deflection by Alison Bonner from a McKenna shot. With Tees seemingly cruising with just 15 minutes to go, Brentwood were awarded a penalty corner after a rare attack and they scored with their first attempt on goal.

This galvanised the home side and they began to attack with more belief, finishing the game the stronger and scored again from another penalty corner, leading to a slightly nervy finish for Thurrock, but some good defending by Katy Martin, Natalie Kerin and the now fit-again Lisa Simmonds prevented any further chances for Brentwood. Player of the match was Cheryl Broadbent for both her excellent defensive and attacking play down the left. Thurrock are second on goal difference in the league behind leaders Romford. Tees have a difficult game this Saturday at home to fourth place Chelmsford.


THURROCK came out fighting after the Christmas break with their first game against Basildon. Despite the drop in temperature Thurrock kept themselves warmed up with lots of passing around the pitch but despite this Basildon took an early lead with a goal scored from a penalty corner. Thurrock kept their heads high and some great play between Hannah Marcham and Joey Taylor down the right wing resulted in Thurrock equalising with a goal from Charlotte Adnams.

Katie Jacks worked her way through Basildon’s defence effortlessly and this was rewarded with another goal for Thurrock. Basildon weren’t slowing down and a few breaks against Thurrock meant they had their work cut out but with some great saves from Kelly Bentley and the defence working hard to keep them out of the D meant Basildon didn’t manage to find the back of the goal again. Thurrock’s final goal came from Louise Parrott with a great strike on a short corner straight into the goal. Thurrock face Colchester at home next week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.