Rugby: Thurrock in deep water at Medway

Thurrock Rugby


THURROCK travelled to Priestfields on Saturday to play Medway on the back of 5 consecutive wins which has seen them rise up the league.

The game kicked off with Medway playing into the breeze. Both team’s intentions to play an expansive game were evident in the opening few minutes with kicking opportunities turned down for the running game. It was Medway who opened the scoring with some good phase play which Sharpe go over for the unconverted try, 5-0. After 7 minutes Medway were inexplicably penalised at a scrum they were dominating and with the ball kicked to the corner conceded a try from the line out, after 3 phases winger Jake Barrand playing his 150th game went over from a clever inside pass An excellent conversion from Sam Stanley saw the visitors edge ahead 5-7.

On 12 minutes Thurrock scored again, Dylan Fearon turned possession over on the half way line and the centre took full advantage breaking the defence and giving Barrand the easiest of scores, scoring wide on the left hand side. Another excellent conversion from Stanley pushed the visitors lead out to 14-5

Both teams were looking to dominate possession, but on on 25 minutes. Medway were penalised for an early engagement. Thurrock tapped and went and after several phases and good interplay orchestrated by the visitors fly half Stanley they created an overlap out wide to score with Barrand scoring his 3rd try, which went unconverted and push their lead out to 5-19. Thurrock were playing well and looking good to maintain their recent good form. However Medway with 31 minutes on the clock Orris scored an unconverted try. 10-19. Medway continued to take the game to Thurrock and it was the home side who scored next, through Garratt scoring out wide. Harvey added the conversion to bring the score back to 17-19. Medway retook the lead right on half time when Garofalo sniped over for a well taken try converted by Harvey and a lead of 24-19.

Medway increased their lead shortly after the restart Panikoula went Harvey adding the conversion and Medway led 31-19.
Thurrock knew they had to respond and they did. Consecutive penalties saw Medway kicked back to within 10 metres of their line and although they defended the initial catch and drive well sloppy defence allowed space for the visitors scrum half Alex Jones to exploit and score a sharp try. The conversion from Stanley made the score 31-26 and also secured Thurrock their try bonus point.

On 58 minutes Thurrock centre Dylan Fearon was harshly sin binned for a e knock on and a minute later Medway capitalised on the sin bin with Thurrock down to 14 men Garratt added his second try converted by Harvey. 38-26 Medway. On 63 minutes Medway increased their lead with a 30 metre penalty from 41-26
Thurrock knew they had to throw everything in to try and snatch a second bonus point. A free kick at the line out saw them run the ball. Good work from Tom Pool allowed Bradleigh Retigan scored a well taken try converted again by Stanley giving the strong travelling support hope.

Orris however broke several tackles to score, Harvey converted to make the score 48-33. A few minutes later a fracas saw another yellow card for Charlie Russo but this time Medway’s Huntley joined him for 10 minutes Thurrock were on the end of a technical red card for a second yellow card offence for another attempted interception The scoring was completed when on the stroke of full time a Medway scrum in front of the Thurrock posts saw Thurrock collapse the scrum even though it was the firs scrum the referee harshly awarded a penalty try. Full time score 55-33 to Medway. This was a good game of rugby with some quality tries from both teams but without doubt the scoreline and margin flattered the home side.

This week Thurrock are back at Oakfield when they entertain CAMBERLEY with a 3pm kick off

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.