ESSEX Firefighters were called to a chimney fire at a property in Grays on Tuesday afternoon.
When fire crews arrived in Grays End Close they reported there was lots of smoke built up in the wood burner and they could saw flames at the top of the flue. Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire by 4:20pm.
This is the third chimney fire in Essex in five days
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service is urging all Essex residents to take some extra precautions if you use a open fire or burner. The top reasons for chimney fires is either the flues haven’t been swept regulary enough and also the wrong type of wood or fuel is being burnt. Chimney fires can cause a lot of damage to the house so we want encourage everyone to follow our fire safety advice.
Keep your family and home safe by following our chimney safety advice:
Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood. (Always use a competent chimney sweep who is able to provide you with a certificate upon completion of their work.)
Only use suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion.
Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves.
Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed.
Use a fire or spark guard.
Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them.
Inspect your chimney regularly – particularly in the roof space – to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.
It is also vital that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home. Smoke alarms help save lives by giving you earlier warning of a fire and extra time to get out safely.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service fit smoke alarms completely FREE of charge. Call us on: 0300 303 0088 or book online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book.