Rugby: Thurrock produce wonder second half to slay Cornishmen

Thurrock Rugby


THE second consecutive home game was in the honour of former club stalwart Martin Fahey who sadly passed away in November the game held in front of many of his family friends and former players, and were treated to a fantastic game of rugby, and if you said at half time Thurrock would run out comfortable winners no one would have believed you.

The visitors started off the better and were soon in front when winger Webb was given space and finished off the move neatly, Kimmins made the conversion despite the very windy conditions, he quickly followed with a well taken penalty, advantage to Cornish 10-0

At last Thurrock went on the offensive and with their first real creditable attack ended with Joss Nunn going over, Jake Barrand took on the kicking duties and landed the conversion, and it Barrand who put the home side in front jinking his way through to score under the post’s he converted his own try to make it 14-10

Up to the midway point Loka and Nunn were spoiling the Cornish line-out but they got one right 15m from the Thurrock line and O’Leary scored from the subsequent catch and drive, Kimmins again kicked a good conversion to regain the lead at 17-14, but it was short lived as Barrand added a penalty to draw level
Joss Nunn then made a 40 metre break and despite being stopped by the cover defence Thurrock remained patient and Chris Shorter crashed over for a try converted by Barrand

Kimmins added a penalty for Cornish and the lead was 24-20 at the break in a match well contested up to that point.

The second half showed Thurrock at their best and probably the visitors at their worst as Thurrock dominated the game with 6 tries 2 from Niall Clifford another one each for Nunn and Barrand. Other tries came from Daryll Worster and the rout was finished off by Tom Pool, Barrand added 5 out of the 6 conversions for a personal tally of 29 points.

The result was built on a great defensive performance against a hard running Cornish side and gave T’s a fourth consecutive win.

Captains Charlie Russo and Reece Durrance presented Martin’s grandson Rueben with the match ball after the game a fitting end to an emotional day
There is a break this week with league action returning on 23rd March when T’s travel to CHOBHAM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.