Fire crews and council staff praised for quick response to tower block fire in Chadwell St Mary

Fire crews and council staff praised for quick response to flat fire

FIREFIGHTERS and council staff have been praised after their quick response to a small kitchen fire in a flat in Chadwell St Mary.

Fire crews attended the high-rise council flat at Poole House in Godman Road at about 10.30am this morning after a neighbour was alerted by a smoke alarm.

Screenshot 2019-05-31 at 17.39.38

The fourth floor flat was empty at the time and crews had extinguished the fire within 20 minutes.

Thurrock Council caretakers and staff from its housing repairs contractor were quickly on site and it is hoped the family will be able to move back in quickly.

Cllr Rob Gledhill, Leader of Thurrock Council, said: “I would like to thank firefighters for responding so quickly, preventing the fire from spreading and making the flat safe. I would also thank the neighbours to the property affected for their prompt action in calling Essex County Fire and Rescue Service.

“Repairs are already underway and our officers are working hard to support the affected family to ensure they can move back in as soon as possible.

“This incident demonstrates the importance of having a regularly checked and working smoke alarm in your property. Whilst we ensure they are fitted as standard in all council properties, I would recommend that everyone have them installed in their home.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.