Grays family rescued from fire started by charger

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 17.11.22

A FAMILY of four have been rescued after a segway charger caught fire outside their home.

Crews were called to the property in Jesmond Road, Grays, just before midday after reports that smoke was coming from the first floor flat.

On arrival firefighters reported that there was a fire in the communal landing area of the first floor and the area was smoke logged, trapping a family inside their property.

Crew Manager John Warmann, Grays Fire Station, said:

“Initially we intended to bring the family to safety via an outside ladder and through a window, but crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire and clear the smoke.

“This meant we could lead the family safely down the stairs and away from the property.”

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental, and started after a segway charging unit caught fire on the landing.

Crew Manager Warmann added:

“The segway was charging in a unit that didn’t come with the original product, which can always be a safety risk.

“It’s so important follow our electrical fire safety advice when charging anything in your home as these fires can start quickly and unexpectedly.”

The communal area of the flats has suffered fire damage and the inside of the flat has suffered from some smoke damage.

To ensure that you and your family are safe when dealing with electrical follow our advice:

Don’t leave items on charge or plugged in overnight or whilst you are out of the house.
Never leave plugged in and turned on when they are not in use.
Don’t leave items on charge for long periods.
Only use the charger supplied by the manufacturer.
Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with European Safety standards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.