FROM Wednesday, 4 September and Thursday, 5 September, adults and children can take part in the newly-launched walks at RSPB Rainham Marshes and Essex Wildlife Trust’s Thurrock Thameside Nature Park. Both one-hour sessions are run by Thurrock Council’s free Healthy Walks programme, which aims to bring the community together to promote the benefits of walking and support residents in leading a healthy, active lifestyle.
The scheme now hosts seven ongoing free Healthy Walks sessions:
· Monday (2.30pm) – buggy walk at Purfleet Children’s Centre
· Wednesday (9.15am) – buggy walk at Tilbury Children’s Centre
· Wednesday (1.30pm) – walk at RSPB Rainham Marshes, Purfleet
· Wednesday (1.30pm) – buggy walk at Purfleet Children’s Centre
· Thursday (10am) – walk at Impulse Leisure, Grays
· Thursday (10.30am) – walk at Essex Wildlife Trust’s Thurrock Thameside Nature Park, Mucking
· Friday (1.30pm) – walk at Davy Down Riverside Park, South Ockendon
Walkers are asked to bring water, and wear weather appropriate clothing and suitable footwear.
Cllr James Halden, Cabinet Member for Education and Health, said: “I’m delighted that we’ve added two extra walks to our Healthy Walks programme, which enables residents to enjoy a healthy lifestyle in the great outdoors and explore what Thurrock has to offer in the local area.
“These Healthy Walks are not possible without the help of our volunteer Healthy Walks Leaders. If you have a shared love of walking and meeting new people, and feel confident leading walks in and around Thurrock in a safe and responsible way, we’d like to hear from you.”
For more information on the Healthy Walks programme, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about becoming a Healthy Walks Leader and make an application, go to thurrock.gov.uk/volunteering