Football: East Thurrock late show earns three points

Isthmian Premier

East Thurrock United 3 v 1 Wingate and Finchley

Report courtesy of East Thurrock United

WORTH staying to the end of this clash at the Grayers Graphics Stadium, as three late goals from the home side turned the game.

The Rocks had spluttered to get going for most of the afternoon, although Alex Clark created a couple of half decent chances for himself early on. But the home side fell behind on 24 minutes when Charlie Ruff capitalised on a defensive mix-up to fire lowly Wingate into the lead.

Shortly after this Rocks leading scorer Frankie Merrifield drew an excellent save out of experienced Wingate keeper Shane Gore, but the teams went off at half time with the visitors in front.

Early in the second half it was the turn of Rocks keeper Jack Giddens to shine with a brilliant save to keep out lively striker Olu Akinsanya.

On the 68 minute mark the home side were given a golden opportunity to level things up when Danny Harris was tripped in the box. However, Wingate were given a reprieve when Merrifield fired his spot kick over the bar.

During the aftermath of the penalty, Wingate’s Tanasheh Abrahams picked up a second yellow for verbal abuse to the assistant referee, leaving the visitors to play out the closing few minutes with ten men.

The home side pushed men forward and eventually got their equaliser with six minutes left when Mitchell Gilbey fired home through a crowded box.

Then the home substitutes took centre stage. Firstly former Southend United development player Sewa Marah smashed in Rocks second on 87 minutes, and then deep into added time Sean Bonnett-Johnson got in on the act with a sublime volley which gave Gore no chance.

ROCKS : Jack Giddens, Jason Ring, Jordan Brown, Steve Sheehan, Ryan Scott, Ben Marlow, Alex Clark (Sean Bonnett-Johnson 58), Ayo Olukoga, Frankie Merrifield, Danny Harris (Sewa Marah 82), Mitchell Gilbey.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.