Stanford-le-Hope: Dog “turns on microwave” and causes house fire

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 17.02.11

A KITCHEN fire in Kingsman Road, Stanford-Le-Hope was caused this afternoon after a dog inadvertently turned on a microwave.

Despite being positioned on the worktop, the husky inadvertently turned on the appliance while alone within the kitchen. A packet of bread rolls within the microwave began to burn, causing a small fire.

The owner of the semi-detached two storey property wasn’t in at the time of the incident, but noticed smoke within the kitchen using a camera feed on his phone.

Geoff Wheal, Watch Manager at Corringham Fire Station, said: “Clearly this is a very strange incident involving the man’s dog, but it could still have been more serious.

“When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke. Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area – but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn’t be used to store food when they aren’t in use.

“Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging. Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think – so please don’t run the risk.”

The dog was unharmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.