Saturday, December 2, 2023

Chimney fire in Rectory Road, Grays

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 16.34.02

Chimney fire, Rectory Road, Grays

ESSEX Firefighters were called to a chimney fire in Grays this afternoon.

On arrival, crews reported that there was a fire in a chimney and evacuated the family as a precaution.

Firefighters used the ALP and chimney rods to extinguish the fire by 4:07pm.

The chimney suffered some fire and smoke damage.


Most chimney fires are preventable. Regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys. Keep your family and home safe by following our chimney safety advice:

Have your chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood

Do not stack fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you go to bed

Use a fire or spark guard

Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them

Inspect your chimney regularly – particularly in the roof space – to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks

Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly. Suitable seasoned timber must be used in all solid fuel stoves

Buy only suitable fuels. Using the wrong type of fuel on a liner will reduce the life of the liner considerably due to increased corrosion


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles