Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Cigarette end causes fire in South Ockendon

ESSEX Firefighters were called to a shed fire in South Ockendon earlier today.

On arrival, crews confirmed that a shed and fence panels were on fire and the fire had spread to the back of a house.

Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading further. The fire was put out by 3:42pm.

The shed, fence panels and the back door of the house were left damaged. 

The fire was caused accidentally after a cigarette end caught grass alight.

Watch Manager Gary Bannister said: “Please double check cigarette ends are properly stubbed out before walking away. They can cause fires quickly if left to burn next to a flammable object.”

If you’re a smoker or you have a smoker living in your house, make sure you follow our advice to stay safe at home:

  • Make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished
  • Take extra care when you’re tired, taking any sort of drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning
  • Never smoke in bed – if you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could doze off and set your bed on fire
  • Never leave lit cigarettes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
  • Tap your ash into an ashtray, never a wastebasket containing other rubbish – and don’t let the ash or cigarette ends build up in the ashtray
  • Use child safe matches and cigarette lighters and keep them safely out of the reach of childre
  • Fit and maintain a smoke alarm – a working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles