Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Grays Athletic favourite Ron Fogg passes away

From Grays Athletic

THE club would like to pass on their condolences to the family and friends of former Blues player Ron Fogg who passed away recently. 

Ron was a Chadwell lad and played as an inside-forward or centre forward . He was signed by Southend United making two league appearance before joining Blues making his debut on Christmas Day 1958 in an Athenian League match at home to Leyton, where he scored both goals in a 2-0 victory. He bagged another brace two days later in the reverse fixture, as Grays again triumphed this time by a 6-3 scoreline. He joined the Blues whilst he was in the armed services, presumably doing his National Serviced His military service may have been the reason why in the 1958-59 season his appearances were sporadic, playing ten times and scoring five goals.

The following season he once again made his first appearance of the season on Christmas Day, once again against Leyton. Prior to this he had been a trialist for the Great Britain Olympic Football Team. Three days after this he would score his only Grays Athletic hat-trick, in a 4-0 victory in the East Anglian Cup Second Round tie at home to Dagenham. The third was an header from a Weekes cross, described in the Gazette report as “A Beauty”. His last goal was the first in a 3-0 triumph over Enfield in the Athenian League home match, when according to the match report he could have had a couple more before the interval. In the 1959-60 season he made 25 appearances scoring 11 goals, and forming a formidable spearhead with Sid Pook who was the centre-forward of the time. Ron was an old fashioned centre forward giving as good as he got in the penalty box

His goalscoring exploits came to the attention of Weymouth then of the Southern League signing for them in 1961 and going on to make 159 appearances scoring a remarkable 100 goals. Aldershot then in the 4th Division signed the prolific goalscorer where he made 64 appearances bagging 28 goals.

He then dropped out of the league playing briefly for Hereford United and joined the very successful Bedford Town team in 1965 making 147 starts with a goal tally of 37.His next port of call was Chelmsford City where he converted to centre half with 78 appearances and 2 goals.

On retiring from playing Ron managed Brentwood Town where he saw them win the Essex Intermediate Cup.

After retiring from the game Ron coached youngsters including his grandsons teams and was well known and respected in the local area.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles