Fire service issue advice after kitchen fire in Chadwell St Mary

ESSEX Firefighters have issued safety advice after a kitchen fire was caused by cereal boxes left on a hob.

Crews from Grays, Orsett and Corringham were called to a fifth storey flat at Gooderham House in Chadwell St Mary today (13 November) at 8.27am.

They found a small fire in the kitchen area and fully extinguished it by 8.49am.

Watch Manager Kevin Hercock said: “The family had left the flat and when one of the occupants returned he could hear the smoke alarm sounding.

“He looked through the letter box and saw smoke and did exactly the right thing – he stayed out and called 999.

“They think their toddler must have been playing with the hob and unfortunately they had left cereal boxes on top of it, which caught fire. It shows how important it is to keep your hobs clear when they are not in use.

“Thankfully the family had closed the kitchen door before leaving the flat which limited the smoke damage to the rest of the property.” 

Firefighters used a fan to ventilate the smoke. The cause has been recorded as accidental.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.