ESSEX County Fire and Rescue Service attended reports of smoke coming from the 10th floor of George Crooks House, Grays at approximately 8pm on Thursday 18 February.
Cllr Barry Johnson, Cabinet Member for Housing, said:
“Thankfully this was only a small incident where smoke was created from some burned food, and there was no actual fire to extinguish. The procedures that we have in place in case of any fires were immediately put into action, with Essex County Fire and Rescue Service quickly implementing their full high rise blocks firefighting procedure.
“Residents on the on the 11th floor were safely escorted from the block as a precaution because this is part of this procedure, there was no building damage and all residents were able to return to their properties after the 10th floor had been ventilated to disperse the smoke.
“The events of last night clearly demonstrate the level of commitment and the manner in which the fire service treat such reports of fire in the tower blocks, and I thank Essex Fire and Rescue service for their swift action.
“It’s a timely reminder that household fires can happen very easily, and I strongly recommend that all of our tenants and leaseholders familiarise themselves with the helpful information contained in this fire safety guide which has been delivered to all council properties and is given to all new tenants.”