Friday, December 8, 2023

Football round-up: Mixed results across the borough

EAST Thurrock United came from behind three times and nicked a win in added time in this afternoon’s Isthmian Premier derby with neighbours Hornchurch this afternoon reports Thurrock Nub News.

Elsewhere there was disappointment in the FA Trophy for Aveley and Tilbury. 

After an even start to today’s (Saturday, 9 October) derby at Rookery Hill Hornchurch took the lead through ex-Rock Joe Christou’s well struck free kick.

But a superb individual effort from Southend United loanee Jon Benton, who beat two men before crashing home a strike from the edge of the box, put Rocks level on 34 minutes.

But the hosts ended up going into the break a goal down after poor defensive play gave Liam Nash the opportunity to score on 40 minutes.

East Thurrock drew level just four minutes into the second half, this time from Alex Hernandez who appeared to have wasted a great opportunity with a fresh air shot on the edge of a crowded box but the ball bobbled kindly and he made no mistake with his second effort, crashing the ball home.

Hornchurch, who were missing striker and East Thurrock legend Sam Higgins through injury, restored their advantage on 69 minutes when Charlie Ruff scrambled the ball home, with the referee’s assistant adjudging the ball had crossed the line.

Rocks continued to battle hard and with three minutes to go the diminutive Ben Wyss took a touch before rifling an angled shot home past the despairing dive of Urchins’ keeper Joe Wright – who then went AWOL in injury time when a free kick was drifted into the box and amid a scramble of players Tom Barton got the decisive touch to loop a winning header into the net!

At Parkside Aveley’s FA Trophy hopes ended with a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Uxbridge.

All the goals came in the second half with Anthony Mendy and Mahlondo Martin scoring on 67 and 77 minutes respectively.

Alex Akrofi gave the Millers hope with a goal four minutes from time but that was as good as it got in the second qualifying round tie.

Tilbury went down 3-2 at Faversham where they got the first and last goals.

The opener came from Jordan Peart on 25 minutes but goals from Jono Richardson (45),Dean Grant (47) and Emmanuel Oluwasemo (64) gave the hosts the advantage and Joe Wright’s 85th minute goal was just a consolation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles