Monday, December 4, 2023

Oven fire in East Tilbury

ESSEX Firefighters were called to an oven fire in East Tilbury this afternoon (Wednesday).

On arrival at King George V1 Avenue crews reported that a kitchen was heavily smoked logged and the oven was on fire.

Crews extinguished the fire by 2:06pm and believe it was caused by hot oil in the oven.

Firefighters fitted two smoke alarms while at the property.

Watch Manager Kev Smith from Orsett Fire Station said: “Please take care when cooking with oil. It can can set alight easily and when it starts to smoke, it’s too hot and you need to take it off the heat.

“We’d like to highlight how important it is to have working smoke alarms at home. We recommend you have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of you home and you test them regularly. Please do not cover smoke alarms up or remove the batteries, they can only save lives if they are working.”

Do you have working smoke alarms in your home?

Smoke alarms save lives. They can alert your family as well as your neighbours and passers-by to a fire in your home if you’re not home, or are unable to hear it.

If you or someone you know doesn’t have working smoke alarms, please get in touch. Visit or call 0300 303 0088.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles