Wednesday, May 29, 2024

South Ockendon: Hairdryer catches bedding alight

ESSEX Firefighters are warning residents not to use hairdryers to warm or dry clothing after a hairdryer caught bedding alight in South Ockendon.

Crews were called to South Road, South Ockendon just before 4pm when residents heard their smoke alarms going off and called us.

On arrival, crews reported that the house was heavily smoke logged and there was a fire in a bedroom.

Firefighters believe a hairdryer had caught bedding alight.

The residents were rendered homeless due to the smoke damage to the house.

Watch Manager Gary Bannister from Grays Fire Station said: “We do not recommend you use a hairdryer to warm or dry any clothing. They can catch material alight if it gets too close and they also take a long time to cool down and could catch material alight if you put the dryer down while it’s still hot.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles