Monday, June 24, 2024

Fire fighters called to flat fire in Grays

ESSEX Firefighters were called to reports of smoke coming from a first floor flat window in Vicarage Square, Grays. 

When firefighters arrived, they found the flat full of smoke and the hob was alight in the kitchen. The occupant had fallen asleep and was not aware of the fire until firefighters found him asleep in his bed.

The flat did not have any working smoke alarms.

Crew Manager Kris Mortimer said: “The occupant had put some food on the hob, but then left it unattended and had fallen asleep. It is very lucky someone spotted the smoke and called 999 as the property did not have any working smoke alarms.

“Once we had extinguished the fire and clear smoke from the flat, we fitted new smoke alarms in the property.

“We are urging all residents in Essex to not cook when you’re tired or have been drinking alcohol. It’s easy to fall asleep and a fire can quickly develop.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles