Sunday, June 16, 2024

South Ockendon:Fire crews issue advice after e-bike incident

CREWS have issued safety advice after an electric bike left on charge overnight caused a fire.

We were called to a flat in Derry Avenue, South Ockendon today at 4.08am.

Two crews from Grays attended and found a fire in the lounge of a two-storey property.

Crew Manager Scott Gregory said: “The occupant had left an electric bike on charge and either the bike caught fire or the batteries exploded.

“Please don’t leave items charging overnight or unattended, and make sure you use chargers supplied by the manufacturer.

“Thankfully there were working smoke alarms which alerted the couple and they got out safely and called 999.

“Crews quickly extinguished the fire and rescued a dog, which was unharmed.

“Fortunately, fire damage was limited to the lounge, although the entire property was affected by smoke damage.”

Crews fully extinguished the fire by 4.40am.

The incident highlights the importance of having working smoke alarms: they will alert you to the first sign of fire and give everyone time to get out safely and call 999.

If you or someone you know needs smoke alarms, arrange a home safety visit by calling 0300 303 0088 or visiting our Smoke Alarms page.

Closed

Fire

Incident number

208687

Attending station

Grays

Location

Derry Avenue, South Ockendon

Date

4.08am – 04 September 2023

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles