Thurrock 3 v 1 Bath City

After having an unforced absence from Football due to the weather Thurrock resumed there challenge for a play off place here at Ship Lane with an emphatic first half performance that blew away a well prepared Bath City side.

Bath had the better start putting pressure on the Thurrock defence and controlled the first 15 minutes. But Thurrock kept their shape and composure and soon found their form and in a 10 minute spell scored three times to secure the game.

The first corner of the game came in the 19th minute and went to Thurrock on their first real attack of the game, it turned out to be three consecutive corners and resulted in the first goal.

The corner was partially cleared, Riess Gilbey collected the ball and passed it out wide to the right for Matt Bodkin, he make a run down the line and from his cross Kenny Clark met the ball with a splendid header that beat the keeper, Ryan Robinson from 10 yards out.

Two minutes later and before Bath could recover from the unexpected goal the ball was played into David Bryant in the penalty area where he was brought down by Jim Rollo and referee Mr Tony Power had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Leon McKenzie tucked the ball under his arm declaring his intention to take the kick, he strode up and side footed the ball home sending Robinson to his left as the ball went to the right.

It took Thurrock another four minutes before they scored again, this time the moved started with Bath pushing forward and it was a break from defence that found Thurrock’s right back and captain for the day Craig Pope advancing down the left flank and he just kept going forward and when he reached the edge of the box he blasted a right footed shot passed the stationary keeper, to record his first goal for Thurrock.The second half saw both defences tighten there grip on the game and chances were few, but it was Bath that should have scored when Keeper Joe Woolley came for a cross and failed to gather the ball, it fell to the feet of Kaid Mohamed but he drove his shot wide of the post. Keeper Woolley had already made a number of good saves and redeemed himself again with a couple of fine saves to keep Thurrock on top.

With only seconds remaining Bath were awarded a penalty the ball was sent low and hard into the Thurrock box and Craig Pope challenged Darren Edwards and was adjudged to have clipped his heels, Mohamed took the spot kick sending Woolley the wrong way to reduce the deficit.

The referee finally blew for full time giving Thurrock another three points which moves them back into the play off places in fourth position

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.