Thursday, July 25, 2024

Thurrock 4ths 21 v 7 Stanford 2nds

After a long lay off and despite losing their last league game, Thurrock’s 4th team finally won their first game of 2010 against a spirited Stanford 2nds by 7 – 21.

The previous week Thurrock 4ths had entertained Maldon 2nds. Thurrock had the edge by far in the scrum and the line but just could not score. The final passes went down and the wrong options taken. Against any 2nd team, you have to take your chances when you can. Unfortunately Thurrock did not do that, despite enjoying some 70% of the possesssion. This led to two breakaway tries in the first half by Maldon.

The 4th team batttled on but still the errors were apparent and again, Maldon scored two tries courtesy of their young, fast backs. Thurrock got the final score of the game when back row Steve Fox, making a welcome return and his first appearance of the season, scored from a line out, making the final score 5 – 31. The age range of the 4th team, while primarily a Vets team, ranges from 60 – 17 years of age.

Man of the match was young Jack Callow on the wing, closely followed by club stalwart and 60 year old Pat Gard in the back row.

With no fixture for saturday, Thurrock 4th team managed to arrange a fixture with Stanford 2nd team at Stanford, a team again with a fair number of Vets in their side, including many that had played for Thurrock in the past. Stanford dominated the first 20 minutes and only good defending kept them from scoring. However, a long clearance kick by Simmonds was followed up quickly by Dave Graham, who caught the Stanford full back in posession, who was then robbed and then the ball was sent down the line from Kearney to Adams to wing Blaine Daly, who duly went over the line to score, with Simmons converting. Just before half time, with Thurrock generally in control, the defence allowed Stanford to mount an attack, which resulted in their centre going through and scoring unopposed under the posts, which was converted.

The second half saw Thurrock introduce a number of subs which strengthened Thurrock all round. Centre Reece Cunningham saw and went for an interception and duly took his chance and ran in under the posts, which he converted himself. With the Thurrock pack now rampant and well in control and driving forward at every opportunity, it was scrum half Danny Kearney who put the final result under no doubt by finishing a lovely move, where backs and forwards passed the ball between each other, scoring under the posts and converting his own try. Thurrock ran out very worthy winners 7 – 21.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles