Sunday, December 3, 2023

Hockey Reports

Mens I

Thurrock I 3 v 4 East London I

Thurrock knew that this game would be the biggest test of the season and started strong, but so did the away side. With some great passing moves it was a stalemate with both keepers and defences kept busy. Finally the deadlock was broken by Matt Gaut with a lovely goal, next it was the away sides turn to score firing the ball hard past the Thurrock defence from a short corner.

With attack after attack of flowing hockey failing to come to anything, it took a wonderful run from veteran midfielder Andre Rudder to put the Tee’s ahead.

The away side then scored from a passage of play that came a dubious decision, this did not deter the Tee’s who hit back with a wonderfully taken short corner of their own straight from the training field by captain Steven Abbott.

With the final minutes closing in the away side snatched a goal and the three points that see’s both teams in a chance of promotion.

Every game being so important for both sides Thurrock men will show the metal to become that team.

Next weekend Thurrock travel to Saffron Walden, 1.30 start.

Mens II
Thurrock II 9 v 0 Redbridge & Ilford III

Thurrock’s result on Saturday just proved how much they have underachieved at times this season. The 2s are lying ninth in the table, to Redbridge & Ilford’s eleventh and the Tees had total control from start to finish.

The first three goals all came from the stick of Michael Murray, but strike partner Lawrence Jackson isn’t in the habit of being outdone, and when he was given the ball on the edge of the D, launched a heavenly reverse stick shot, which the keeper didn’t have a prayer of stopping. Declan Millane added one to make it 5-0 at half time.

Millane was pushed forward in the second half, and quickly made it six with his second goal, a powerful low shot from out wide. Ten minutes later he joined Murray on a hat trick to make it 7-0.

Young Liam Appleyard was having another great game at right half, and came close to scoring when Luke Danbrook played a perfect pass from defence, through the opposition midfield, only for the keeper to make a great save.

Man of the Match Murray and Ashley Snell scored the final two goals to give the 2s their biggest win in years.

A win at bottom of the table Southend III on Saturday could see Thurrock go sixth, 12.45 start.

Mens III

Thurrock III 7 – 0 Witham IV

Thurrock dominated this NE14HOCKEY sponsored Division 9 game and after 10 minutes were awarded a penalty. Michael Fleming’s flick was saved, however he made amends when he seized upon the hit out from Witham and ran into the area to put Thurrock into the lead two minutes later. The visitors worked hard to equal the score with ex-Thurrock player Richard Dunnage making some strong runs, but the Thurrock defence marshalled by veteran Chris Smith held firm and the ball was quickly moved up the field by Tom Madden who laid on an inch-perfect pass for Fleming to get his second after 20 minutes. A Witham attack was thwarted by midfield-general Kevin Appleyard, making his comeback after a long injury, who sent the ball on for Fleming who skilfully dribbled through the defence to get his hat trick. An attack on the left by Lawrence Smith forced a short corner and although the initial shot was saved, Matthew Skinner was on hand to collect the rebound and score. In the last minute of the half, Fleming got his fourth goal when he converted a cross by Oliver Smith to make it 5-0 at half time. After the break, Thurrock continued to pressurise the visitors and skilful work from Man of the Match George Horgan, on the left, pulled the Witham defence apart and allowed Skinner to nip in and get his second goal from close range. Thurrock looked to have added another goal when Chris Smith flicked the ball into the roof of the net from a short corner, however after consultation the goal was disallowed for a technicality. Realising that they were up against a much stronger side, Witham resorted to damage limitation and fell back into defence rarely getting into Thurrock’s half and it was not until two minutes before time that Thurrock were able to get a seventh when Fleming scored from a short corner to make his tally five.

This result is encouraging for next week when the team travels to play top of the league side Old Loughtonians who are unbeaten, 4 pm start.

Previous article
Next article


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles