Sunday, December 10, 2023

West Ham Reserves 2 v 1 Crystal Palace Reserves

Bill Robinson reports from Ship Lane…..

West Ham United reserves 2 Crystal Palace reserves 1

A comfortable win for the Hammers here at Ship Lane today with a number of potential first eleven players on display and Avram Grant in the ground watching there was plenty to play for and Anthony Edgar’s two goals and fine performance can only enhance his chances of making a first team appearance.

But it was the Eagles that had the better possession early in the game and it took the Hammers twenty minutes to get a shot at the Palace goal, when Ahmed Abdulla broke out of his defensive role to strike a shot high over the bar.

Kieron Dyer was next to attack the Palace goal with a penetrating run down the left with his resulting shot giving the Hammers a corner.

This was the start of a five minute purple patch for the Hammers with Holma Eysolfson and Anthony Edgar both causing concern for the Palace defence.

The opening goal then came at the opposite end when Palace broke free of the Hammers pressure and Nathanial Penny provided the perfect pass for Sebastian Grax to drive a right footed hot home from inside the box.

A stunned West Ham team responded within two minutes and came from the very promising Anthony Edgar playing wide on the left. He collected the ball just outside the Palace box and made his run beating off challenges from the Palace defence before making a fine shot that beat keeper, Lewis Price at his left hand post.

The second half started with the Hammers looking more determined to take control and on 52 minutes it was again Anthony Edgar who struck a first time shot on the edge of the box that flew into the back of the Palace net to make it 2-1.

As time went on West Ham looked more comfortable and just needed the third goal to kill off the game. Chances fell to Kieron Dyer, Tai Bin-Haim and Olly Lee but without success.

With only a few minutes remaining Freddie Sears had a great chance when he found himself in space and drove a fine left footed drive at goal but Price saved well. Then in the final seconds West Ham broke away with Olly Lee putting Frank Nouble clear one on one with the Keeper but a poor shot made it an easy save.

One last chance fell to Christian Montano when he recovered the ball wide on the right of the Palace box, he let fly with a powerful shot that was tipped over the bar by Price.

At the final whistle it was West Ham Coach Alex Dyer that was very pleased with his young side’s performance.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles