Thursday, May 23, 2024

Lafarge Cement Fined after Incident

Safety News reports that Electrical engineer, Paul Ridings, 39, of South Benfleet, Essex had been contracted to work for Lafarge Cement UK Plc, when he was engulfed by the fireball at the firm’s site at Thurrock Marine Terminal, Grays, Essex.

Basildon Crown Court today heard that on 10 October 2008, Mr Ridings was investigating a fault with an energy meter when he inadvertently disturbed a loose connection and exposed a strand of wire leading to an electrical explosion.

Mr Ridings’ clothes caught fire and he sustained burns to his face, neck, chest, arms and hands. He received emergency treatment and spent 19 days in the Specialist Burns Unit at Broomfield Hospital. Since the incident he has undergone numerous skin grafts and operations to remove scar tissue.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Lafarge Cement UK Plc of Granite Way, Syston, Leicester failed to ensure electrical systems were maintained in such a way as to protect workers.

The company admitted breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. It was fined £130,000 and ordered to pay costs of £29,742.

HSE inspector, David King, said:

“Every year approximately 20 people die from electrical shocks or burns following incidents at work. Mr Ridings could easily have been killed in this incident.

“It’s clear that in this case the overall arrangements for maintaining electrical assets were inadequate and the health and safety of both staff and contractors were put at risk.

“HSE will proactively prosecute any company exposing workers to these unnecessary risks.”

Information on electrical safety at work for employers and employees is available on HSE’s website at


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles