THIS Christmas partygoers are being reminded to only use licensed taxis and not risk ruining their festivities.
There are two kinds of licensed taxis – the first are Hackney Carriages and in Thurrock have yellow stickers and yellow licence plates. They can be hailed in the street or be hired from a taxi rank and must use a meter for any journey. Private hire vehicles have green stickers and plates and they must be pre-booked and cannot be hailed on the street.
All licensed drivers must display a badge which shows their photograph and number.
Thurrock Council Chair of Licensing Councillor Mike Stone said: “It is easy to get carried away with the festivities and forget common sense in favour of fun. Particularly late at night when you just want to get home it is all too easy to jump into the nearest vehicle claiming to be a taxi but why risk your safety? Always use a licensed taxi wherever you are and have a safe and happy Christmas.”
Other tips include:
* Plan your journey and pre-book a taxi, particularly for your return journey.
* Book taxis through a reputable company or used a licensed taxi from an official taxi rank.
* Travel with a friend and let friends or family know where you are and what time you expect to be home.
* Always sit in the back of the taxi.
* Do not get in the taxi if you are at all unsure.
To report any concerns about taxis operating in Thurrock contact the licensing team on 01375 652187or email email@example.com