Thurrock go down battling to rivals Chelmsford

Chelmsford City 1 v 0 Thurrock

Blue Square Bet South

Bill Robinson reports from Melbourne Park …..

A TYPICAL Boxing Day local derby played with passion between two teams determined to take all the points. Despite the three red cards towards the end of the game this did not reflect the physical but fair manner in which the game was played.

The new look Thurrock started the better and should have opened the scoring within the first twenty seconds, straight from the start Thurrock advanced into attack with Ahmed Deen wide on the left, he sent over a low powerful cross that caught the City defence asleep and Drewe Broughtons outstretched leg was just millimetres away from putting the ball into the net.

The match became a battle within the middle of the park and neither keeper had much action to deal with.

The goal came from the penalty spot, a challenge by Luke I’Anson within the penalty area seemed ok but encouraged by the 1000+ home supporters the referee awarded a dubious penalty kick.

Dave Rainsford stepped up to take the kick, blasting the ball wide of keeper Craig Holloway and bulging the back of the net.

HT 1-0

Once again from the restart it was Thurrock in attack, this time Drewe Broughton broke free from his marker and was one on one with the keeper only to see his shot pass the wrong side of the far post.

Both teams looked dangerous when they were able to break away which only happened on a few occasions with both Ahmed Deen and Jamie Guy both going close on separate occasions.

Chelmsford should have extended their lead on 76 minutes when Max Cornhill failed to convert a corner just three yards from goal, his effort rolling past the goal post.

With only minutes remaining City’s Sam Corcoran and Nathan Ashton clashed in front of the dug outs, with a few choice words and a little bit of pushing and pulling, but unfortunately the referee over reacted with two red cards, in the aftermath he then picked on Stuart Thurgood and issued him with a second yellow leaving Thurrock with just nine men.

Both teams meet again on Sunday 1st January at Ship Lane, kick off 1:00pm, Thurrock still sitting at the bottom of the table but showing all the signs of a potential recovery in the second half of the season.

Thurrock: Craig Holloway, Anthony Furlonge, Luke I’Anson, Peter Grant, Nathan Ashton, Sam Cutler, Paul Terry, Stuart Thurgood Ahmed Deen, Jamie Guy, Drewe Broughton.

Subs : Lee Boylan, Ben Bowditch, David Hughes, Sam Holloway, Alex Osborn.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.