Friday, October 7, 2022

Dockers back in play-off zone with great away win

Ryman Div One North

Waltham Forest 2 v 5 Tilbury

Tilbury moved up to fourth in Ryman North on a pleasant Saturday afternoon with a convincing 5-2 victory at Waltham Forest. The game centered on the awarding of three penalties: two for Tilbury and one for Waltham Forest.

Paul Vaughan made just one change to the squad with Paul King replacing the rested Sam West in defence.

As with a number of games recently, Tilbury started strong, inside the first 4 minutes Tom Webb’s free kick found King who’s header was well saved by Barrett. Tilbury dominated for long periods and played some good football on a difficult pitch.

On 15 a long James Marrable goal kick evaded everyone except Alex Read who lobbed just over. Waltham Forest also had chances in an entertaining opening, Luke Stanley hit wide from the edge of the box and Dagher was denied by Marrable.

On 23 Tilbury were awarded the first questionable penalty when Alex Read burst into the box and adjudged to be pushed. Read hit home to the keepers left. Within 2 minutes Read played in Steve Good who headed just over the top. Chances were coming thick and fast for both sides Barnes also went close after Read’s shot was blocked.

On 35 Webb played in Read who’s shot was again well saved. Forest went close direct from a corner and it took a Conor Mead clearance off the line. Just before the break Richard Shittu was denied by a good Marrable block. From the next attack Forest were awarded a penalty when Shittu ended up on the floor from a Nightingill pull. Clifton made no mistake to level.

Direct from the kick off Tilbury were back in front, Mead’s ball over the top left Tom Webb on his own to hit home from 20 yards sending the large contingent of Tilbury supporters in to the break 2-1 up. Tilbury were dealt a blow 5 minutes into the second half when a corner from the left found Tony Iyaki unmarked to head into an empty net. Both sides created lots of chances in an entertaining second period. On 56 a Tom Webb cross found Paul King, but his header struck the bar.

Captain Gary Henty went close on the hour after a long Conor Mead throw. On 69 Marrable made a fine save from Shittu and within 2 minutes the Dockers were back in front. Read ran down the right cut inside and was brought down in front of the Assistant and a penalty was awarded. Read again hit home, this time to the keeper’s right. Tilbury reorganised and made their 3 substitutions within the space of 4 minutes and this came to good effect.

Tom Wraights first action was to chip into Gary Henty who hit his onrushing shot into the goal. With 3 minutes remaining Tilbury hit their 5th. Gary Henty played in a super ball to the feet of Joe Collins who beat the off side trap and score to the keepers left. In the final seconds King and Read went close and Joel Palmer almost got one back but again Marrable saved well.

After the game, Tilbury a pleased assistant manager Dave Ross commented “Good result, a well deserved win and a pleasing performance. The boys showed great team spirit. We must go to Cheshunt on Tuesday looking to keep up our good run with the 3 points”.

Team – Marrable, Mead, Worrell, Nightingill, King, Henty, Aiken (Collins 78), Good, Read, Webb (West 75), Barnes (Wraight 74)

Subs not used: Bryan and Bansende


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles