Friday, July 19, 2024

Football: Fleet hit rock bottom

Ryman Premier League

Whitehawk 5 v 1 Thurrock

Bill Robinson reports

PERHAPS Thurrock can take some consolation in the fact that the score line did not reflect the whole game. Whitehawk were worthy winners but if you had left at half time you could not have foreseen the eventual result.

Thurrock started the game looking positive and full of running despite being reshuffled to due to some key players being unavailable and when Frank Griffin had to leave the pitch after only 18 minutes with a dead leg more changes at the back ensued.

Lewis Perkins was looking dangerous and could have opened the scoring in the 23rd minute, he picked up the ball wide on the right and cut inside and fired a shot at goal that missed the far post by inches.

But just six minutes later he made amends and put Thurrock in front. The move started on the left flank with Leroy Griffiths and Fola Orilonishe teasing the defenders before Fola played the ball back for Ben Walster who sent over a perfect cross for Lewis Perkins to rise and head the ball neatly inside the far post.

That was Thurrocks high and after that the mistakes started to become costly. They only held onto the lead for two minutes when a long punt forward from the Whitehawk defence found the Thurrock back four flatfooted and allowed James Fraser to run onto the ball and score with ease.

HT 1-1

The start of the second period saw the Thurrock defence opened up by the Whitehawk attack and it seemed that James Fraser could score at will, completing his hatrick with goals in the 48th and 50th minute.

Thurrock looked beaten and Whitehawk were looking for more goals when Sam Gargan slotted home the fourth from the edge of the box in the 73rd min.

Then in the 80th minute Thurrock lost Osa Obamwonyi as the big centre back rose to head clear he fell awkwardly landing heavily on his left shoulder and was subsequently transferred to the local hospital with a very painful dislocated shoulder.

Thurrock did have two chances to reduce the deficit in the closing minutes, first when Shamir Mullings found space on the edge of the box but his shot went high and wide then Thurrock were fortunate to be awarded a penalty for hand ball when Charlie Stimson’s powerful drive hit a defenders hand. Stimson took the penalty kick but it was easily saved by keeper Chris Winterton.

Jerahl Hughes completed a miserable day for Thurrock with Whitehawks fifth goal in the 89th minute by side footing home from just inside the box in acres of space.

Thurrock: Wil Viner, Ben Walster, Frank Griffin, Osa Obamwonyi, Luke Wanandio, Fola Orilonishe, Matt Thomson, Jack Jefferies, Lewis Perkins, Leroy Griffiths, Charlie Stimson.

Subs: Harry Honesty, David Hughes, Hassan Ibrahim, Shamir Mullings, Jake Woodward


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles