Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Football: Injuries bury Rocks

Ryman Premier

East Thurrock 1 v 3 Bury Town

EAST Thurrock grabbed a lead against the run of play in Tuesday’s Ryman Premier clash at Rookery Hill but in the end the all round experience and class of the visitors, allied to some indecisive defending and a lack of confidence from the Rocks, saw them to victory and fifth place in the table.

Few could argue that Bury didn’t deserve the victory but at the end of the first half their travelling supporters must have been worried about the outcome.

Bury were quick out of the traps and pushed Rocks back in the opening stages but the home side, with newly forged strike partnership of Bertie Brayley and old boy Martin Tuohy in tandem, weathered the storm and began to impress themselves,

They might have taken the lead when a superb move ended with youngster Tom Stephen bursting through the visiting ranks. He cut inside and lashed a low shot inside keeper Marcus Garnham who was relieved to see it flash off his near post and across the face of goal to safety.

However, on the half hour, another flowing succession of passes created the opportunity for Sam Collins to nip between a static Blues central defensive partnership and side-foot a super volley past Garnham

It was nip and tuck for the rest of the half, with Bury denied by home keeper Richard Wray on a couple of occasions but in the opening minutes of the second half the stopper was flat-footed as his teammates gave the ball away cheaply in midfield and slack defending allowed John Sands the opportunity to cut through the home ranks and slot the ball into the net.

The half was just two minutes old when the goal went in but it set the tempo for what was to follow and for the rest of the game Bury were in charge, going into the lead on the hour when more defensive frailty gave Allicion Blake the chance to score and then a textbook counter-attacking goal was headed powerfully home by John Kennedy on 67 minutes and Bury were home and hosed.

Rocks tried to rally but rarely threatened, though ref Ian Fissenden waved away a decent shout for a penalty when Brayley looked to be denied by a handball but a comeback was never seriously on the cards for the home side.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles