Sunday, March 26, 2023

Update on fatal M25: A lorry driver still in custody as police launch appeal


Road policing officers are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding a fatal road crash on the M25 in Essex which closed the clockwise carriageway for nearly nine hours.

The collision happened at 12:30pm on Tuesday, April 2 when four lorries and six cars struck each other.

A 79-year-old man from Ilford was certified dead at the scene. He was the driver of a silver Renault Clio. A 58-year-old man, who was the dead man’s son and also from Ilford, is currently in a stable condition at the Royal London Hospital. He was the passenger in the silver Clio.

A 47-year-old woman from Basildon is also in stable at the Royal London Hospital. She was the driver of a black Mercedes.

A 58-year-old lorry driver from Germany is continuing to be questioned by officers at Basildon police station after having been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. A 43-year-old Polish lorry driver who had also been arrested at the scene and later released without charge is now being treated as a witness.

The clockwise carriageway was fully reopened at 9pm later that Tuesday.

Anyone with information in connection with this fatal crash is urged to contact the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 101 or email

PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY of Essex Fire and Rescue Service

Story as of 1000 hrs 3.4.13

THE M25 at Aveley between junctions 29 and 30 was fully reopened at 9pm last night, Tuesday, April 2, following a fatal collision involving ten vehicles.

The collision happened at 12.30pm on the clockwise carriageway and involved four articulated lorries and six cars.

One person, a man in his 70s from east London, was certified dead at the scene. Two people were airlifted to the Royal London Hospital and a number of other people received less serious injuries.

Two lorry drivers were arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. A 43-year-old man from Poland was later released without charge, while a 58-year-old man from Germany remains in police custody.

Police continue to appeal for any witnesses to the collision to contact the serious collision investigation unit on 101 or


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles