PEOPLE across Thurrock are being invited to nominate their local heroes for the prestigious civic awards.
The 11th Thurrock Civic Awards will be held on Friday, 21 February and there are 11 awards up for grabs covering all aspects of life in the borough – including Olympic legacy, environmental hero, supporting local communities, creative excellence, healthy living, lifetime achievement and the Rachel Middleton award for outstanding courage and bravery.
A cross-party group of councillors – Lynn Worrall, Joy Redsell, Charles Curtis and Charlie Key – has planned next year’s awards and the headline sponsor for them is intu Lakeside. Each category also has a local business sponsor.
Cllr Lynn Worrall, chair of the group, said: “I’m very grateful to all our sponsors, especially headline sponsor, intu lakeside.
Without their support such events couldn’t take place.
“These awards are a real chance for the council and local businesses to show their appreciation to local people who go the extra mile to make a difference in our local communities.”
Kate Miller, General manager (Operations) at intu Lakeside, added: “We are very proud to be headline sponsor for the civic awards.
“We are always looking to strengthen our links with communities across the borough and supporting this event is just one way in which we can be part of recognising the heroes that give their own time to improve the quality of life of their neighbours and communities.”
To make a nomination, complete the online form at thurrock.gov.uk/civicawards or pick up a form at any library in the borough.
Cllr Worrall added: “The deadline for making a nomination is 31 January. I encourage each and every resident to get involved and nominate someone who really makes a difference.
“Completing a nomination couldn’t be simpler, just visit the council website or your local library for a form.”
Award categories are:
1. Community Together (sponsored by intu Lakeside) – This award recognises those involved in bringing diverse communities together through a local project or community event?
2. Olympic Legacy (sponsored by Impulse Leisure) – For an individual or club that has contributed to a lasting Olympic legacy in Thurrock by encouraging more participation in sport. It is also to celebrate and thank those who give their time to working behind the scenes at local sporting clubs and groups.
3. Creative Excellence (sponsored by High house Production Park) – For an individual or organisation that contributed to raising the profile of the arts in the Thurrock, be it art, amateur dramatics or music. This person may be the star of the show or they could work behind the scenes, helping to make it happen.
4. Environmental Hero (sponsor to be agreed) – The unsung hero who works to celebrate or protect the environment we live in. It could be someone who champions recycling or is involved with an environmental project in the borough.
5. Young Achiever (sponsored by South Essex College) – Celebrates an inspirational young person who has made an outstanding contribution in volunteering and to the local community, demonstrating leadership, commitment and enthusiasm.
6. Business in the Community (sponsored by Essex Chambers of Commerce) – Thurrock has many outstanding businesses that play a crucial role in the economic well being of the borough and this award recognises the businesses that have invested in Thurrock to make it a great place to live and work
7. Supporting Local Communities (sponsored by Thurrock Enquirer) – For a community group or organisation that has excelled in supporting local communities to support themselves.
8. Healthy Living (sponsored by Proctor and Gamble) – For an individual or organisation that has improved their own or the health and wellbeing of their local community.
9. Mayors Award (sponsored by Thurrock Council) – Mayor to select shortlist of up to 5 groups or individuals for their outstanding work in the community – all go to a public online vote
10. Rachel Middleton Award – For an individual who has shown extreme personal courage in the face of adversity through illness or disability.
11. Civic Life (sponsor to be agreed) – an award celebrating a person for their outstanding contribution and dedication to the borough over their lifetime